Registered Nurse / Surgery
Available Opportunity at Kansas Heart Hospital
Job Function: Responsible for the planning, executing, directing and evaluating direct and indirect nursing care given to the surgical patient. This nursing care ranges from preoperative intervention onto postoperative evaluation. It is a practice designed to meet a patient’s needs through the nursing process, ensuring continuity of care during the surgical experience.
- Currently licensed to practice professional nursing in the State of Kansas and must be familiar with the basic nursing performance standards as outlined in the Kansas Nurse Practice Act.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
- Certification in CPR.
- A minimum of one year experience as an operating room nurse.
- Knowledge of Patient’s Rights.
- Knowledge of hospital and nursing policies and procedures, and the functions of other departments within the hospital.
- Knowledge of hospital and departmental fire and safety regulations, electrical hazards, disaster plans and infection control policies.
- Knowledge and understanding of Kansas Consent Laws.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Division of Surgery Policies and Procedures and their application.
- Knowledge and experience in the perioperative care of the surgical patient.
- Knowledge of specialized equipment used in the operating room.
- Knowledge of anesthetic agents and their usage and effect on the surgical patient.
- Evidence of continuing education in the field of OR nursing.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervises and directs patient care in an individual operating room.
- Ensures that proper techniques and practices are used according to accepted standards of practice.
- Supervises other personnel in the room and directs or assists as necessary.
- Immediately reports any unusual occurrences to charge personnel, documents appropriately in the patient record, and completes Hospital Incident Reports form if indicated.
- Performs scrub duties as necessary and to keep current.
- Maintains count on sponges, needles and instruments to ensure no loss of items according to present policy.
- Performs all circulating duties with efficiency and speed.
- Supervises and assists scrub nurse as necessary.
- Positions patient, prepares operative area, and adjusts table to proper position according to standard policies.
- Has all supplies and equipment in room and provides to team as necessary.
- Opens all sterile packs and supplies according to aseptic technique.
- Assists surgeons, anesthesiologists, and other personnel as needed to ensure good patient care.
- Observes patient for changes in condition.
- Reviews surgeon’s preference cards for desired medications and verifies same with surgeon.
- Ensures all medications are administered and charted according to established policies and procedures.
- Identifies and records patient’s response to medication when necessary.
- Refers to resource material (PDR, IV Manual) whenever necessary.
- Promptly reports medication errors.
- Cares for specimens and cultures as directed by set policies and procedures.
- Maintains records of procedure and reports any unusual occurrences.
- Provides orderly progression of schedule by sending for following patients at proper times and notifies charge personnel of any changes.
- Accompanies patient to Post-Op or S.I.C.U. and reports to nurse on patient, procedure, and special happenings to ensure continuity of care
- Provides for continuity of individual patient care.
- As staffing allows, utilize program of pre and post-operative visits to facilitate knowledge of patient, condition, and needs.
- Receives and gives reports to and about patient as necessary to ensure good care.
- Provides for psychological needs of patient.
- Assists in control and maintenance of supplies and equipment.
- Records used items in proper place and method directed.
- Assists in administrative duties as directed.
- Helps with maintenance of records and statistics.
- Assists in establishment and maintenance of procedures, policies and standards.
- Assists in scheduling of operative procedures.
- Acts as charge nurse as necessary
- Assists in supervision of personnel and department to provide optimum assurance of safe environment.
- Checks rooms, material, and equipment for proper care and handling.
- Ensures clean, safe environment through continued alertness to safety and explosive hazards and aseptic techniques.
- Coordinates with supply department to maintain high standards and quality in the materials used.
- Assists in control of traffic and personnel to ensure proper control of infection and asepsis.
- Assist in operating room staff development and education
- Assists in formulation and interpretation of procedures, standards, and techniques.
- Assists in orientation of new personnel.
- Assists in evaluation of all OR activities, nursing care given, and of personnel and techniques.
- Avails his or herself in the ongoing nursing education process of the hospital.
- Reviews pertinent periodicals, scientific and medical and related literature.
- On –call for emergencies and available for additional duty.
- Accountability and Adaptability
- Assumes accountability and responsibility for his or her own work performance and those under his or her supervision.
- Observes assigned work schedules and hours.
- Performs competently in new situations.
- Adheres to operating room dress code; neat personal appearance.
- Personal Relations
- Maintains good rapport with fellow employees.
- Maintains good rapport with physicians.
- Performs his or her duties in a professional and pleasant manner.
KHH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, age, disability, family medical history, or genetic information.
Employment is subject to satisfactory completion of a pre-employment drug screening program.