Available Opportunity at Kansas Heart Hospital
Job Title: Student Nurse Technician
The Student Nurse Technician works under the direction of a Registered Nurse in accordance with the standards of nursing care as defined by the Kansas Nurse Practice. The Student nurse technician will provide individualized nursing care based on the needs of the patients. Delivers care in a manner which promotes quality care. Supports the goals of Kansas Heart Hospital.
- Education: Currently enrolled in approved school of nursing; successful completion of at least three full semesters of clinical nursing that includes nursing fundamentals. May work in role until the NCLEX has been taken and passed. Must take NCLEX within 60 days of graduation.
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) course.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates and promotes confidence, credibility, adaptability, initiative, problem solving, and team work. Has strong communication skills.
- Basic personal computer skills.
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Visual acuity; color discrimination; depth perception, hearing
- Work Environment:
- Occasionally (Up to 1/3 of shift) will experience vibration, sitting, kneeling, crouching/squatting, operating machinery, hand controls, foot controls, experience firm grasping and keyboarding. May be exposed to chemical agents, extreme temperatures – heat, cold and humidity; hazardous materials, and loud noises.
- Frequently (1/3 to 2/3 of shift) will experience bending, exposure to latex; lift, carry, push and pull >30 pounds; and experience fine motor manipulation.
- Continuously (2/3 or more of the shift) will experience standing, walking, simple grasping, radio emitted waves and phone use. Will be exposed to biohazard waste management and infectious diseases
- Protective equipment will be necessary and provided, i.e. gloves, eye protection, gowns, mask, and respirator.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interacts with patients and their families in a respectful and therapeutic manner
- Provide care in collaboration with team members
- Utilizes two accepted patient identifiers.
- Places patient on cardiac monitor and obtaining EKG.
- Clean equipment after patient use.
- Obtain vital signs including patient temperature, heart rate, respiratory rate, and pulse oximetry and document the findings in the medical record.
- Recognize abnormal vital signs or significant change in previous vital signs and reports findings to the registered nurse.
- Obtains blood glucose and document on flowsheet and report to RN.
- Performs quality control testing on the glucometer as needed.
- Insertion of indwelling catheter, care of the patient with indwelling catheters, and removal of catheters.
- Proper technique of transferring patients from bed to wheelchair or slideboard when transferring from bed to bed.
- Fall assessments and prevention. Use of bed or chair exit alarm.
- Use of the Doppler for finding pulses.
- Set up of suction equipment.
- Set up of oxygen equipment, both wall set-up and portable.
- Patient rights.
- Assessing for potential skin breakdown and prevention of skin breakdown.
- HIPAA regulations
- Precautions (standard, contact airborne, droplet).
- Healthstream assignments.
- Care of the patient with chest tubes
- Simple dressing changes and the application of ace wraps.
- Use of phone system and phone etiquette.
- Communicates any pertinent information to the RN such as change in condition.
- Securing of patient’s personal belonging and valuables as needed.
KHH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, age, disability, family medical history, or genetic information.
Employment is subject to satisfactory completion of a pre-employment drug screening program.